Lithium ion technology has many advantages over other battery chemistry. Some of those advantages are:
- They hold their charge. A lithium-ion battery pack loses only about 5 percent of its charge per month, compared to a 20 percent loss per month for NiMH batteries
- Lithium-ion batteries can handle hundreds of charge/discharge cycles
- A typical lithium-ion battery can store 150 watt-hours of electricity in 1 kilogram of battery
- They start degrading as soon as they leave the factory. They will only last two or three years from the date of manufacture whether you use them or not
- They are extremely sensitive to high temperatures. Heat causes lithium-ion battery packs to degrade much faster than they normally would
- A lithium-ion battery pack must have an on-board computer to manage the battery. This makes them even more expensive than they already are
- There is a small chance that, if a lithium-ion battery pack fails, it will burst into flame
So, generally speaking, lithium ion batteries are great for e-cigs, but there are some things you should be aware of in maintaining your batteries. Here are some tips:
- NEVER use a charger other than the one that came with your kit to charge your electronic cigarette batteries.
- NEVER leave your e-cigarette batteries in the car in direct sunlight.
- ALWAYS clean your connection on your batteries where your atomizer or cartomizer connects to the battery. This is especially important if you have a model which doesn't have a sealed battery (a good indication is a hole in the top of your battery).
- ALWAYS keep your batteries away from water. We haven't seen a waterproof ecig on the market yet.