We have all seen the monstrous clouds filling the air in public or especially indoors at our favorite bar or vape shop. Who hasn’t seen the large customized rigs that look as if they were somehow brought to life from a Cyberpunk or Steampunk anime? Elegant yet imposing, for many it sparks wonder and a yearning to join the artistic expression of customization and the elitist class of cloud chasers. But before you can join, you should take a student like approach to what cloud chasing is, what tools and materials you will need and most importantly, the safety measures.
Have the Knowledge Before You Chase the Cloud
Should you stunt vape or cloud chase? Allow me to help you, they are the same. Cloud chasing is the current name of the sport. Yes, it is a growing sport with fanatical enthusiasts. A newbie will get lost in a conversation about customizing coils and OHM’s within seconds. If you have decided you want to join the competition, you will find yourself welcomed with open arms by the community; make use of the knowledge of the veterans (for your safety) and your success. Besides, the cloud chasing competitions aren’t just held for bragging rights; you can win hard cold cash reaching into the thousands and an array of prizes. Basically, you can have your vape and eat it too.
Physically Train for the Sport Newbie!
Now, obviously there is a physical aspect to cloud chasing just like any other sport. If you have a huge lung capacity, then you are already headed in a positive direction. If not, then GOOGLE ways to expand your lungs. Next is absolutely key to your success… Technique! It will benefit you greatly to research proper posture, inhaling, exhaling and jaw positions. This will take months of practice but will eventually become second nature. Your MOD is your tool to breathing life into massive vape clouds; after all, what is the guitar without the guitar player.
Modding and Perfecting
Modding is a term often used but it also has a very broad umbrella of topics. Let’s cover all the different aspects that are likely to excite and challenge you.
• Batteries: I cannot stress enough, the importance of choosing the battery. Number one for safety, do not buy cheap unknown battery brands. Spend the money and buy a name brand; preferably something recommended by an expert at your vape shop. Here are a few brands you can trust LG, Sony, and Samsung. If you like their televisions and smartphones, then buy their batteries. The next layers have to do with operating temperatures and how much voltage the battery will deliver to your coils. Obviously, you want the battery to stay cool under the immense stress it will be faced with while trying to blow big clouds.
• Coil: coils and the materials used to construct them are an integral part of modding. Popular materials include Kanthal, Nichrome, Nickel, and Stainless Steel. They all have their strengths and weaknesses relating to heating, cooling, and flavor. Most likely you won’t be concerned with flavor while chasing clouds. A lot of vapers have builds for competition and builds for pleasure. After research, you find that advanced vapers, many times, will construct a build with two coils.
• Wick: the wick is a cotton material of your choice that absorbs
the liquid to be vaporized. Again, this is something that has variation based
on preference and performance. Top materials include Organic Cotton, Cellulose
Cotton, and Hemp.
• Build and Airflow: Something you will grow accustomed to, is the obsession with low resistance and airflow. The lower the resistance the bigger the clouds you can produce, but you will have to strike a balance because the lower the resistance the more air flow you will need and too much air will thin out your cloud. So, you will constantly see veterans experimenting with hole sizes, placement, and the number of holes.
• Atomizer: the atomizer is the device you will have constructed once you’ve chosen all the necessary parts. When the wick is wet with juice, the battery heats your coils which then vaporizes the juice.
• RDA: rebuildable dripping atomizer or (RDA) is widely considered a must for competitive builds due to the delivery system. In short, the juice drips directly onto the wick. You will also hear the term RTA but the focus here is on competition so go with an RDA.
• E-Juices: the mix of your juice is key when it comes to cloud chasing. It’s pretty simple, you have (VG) Vegetable Glycerin and (PG) Propylene Glycol. For big clouds, you want a higher concentration of VG. A ratio of 70/30 or more it all depends on preference. This will have a major impact on taste but again the goal is to produce huge vape clouds.
Hopefully, this guide has not only enriched your knowledge, but also has tantalized your imagination and competitive spirit. Go forth and seek the knowledge of your cloud chasing elders.